Moving is a stressful time for everyone involved. Many people choose to alleviate that stress by hiring a moving company to handle all the grunt work. Other people prefer to move everything themselves, often by renting a moving truck to move office equipment or household items in one trip. Regardless of how you move your furniture and belongings, the following moving tips will help you organize your move and ensure everything goes smoothly.
Moving Tips for Do-It-Yourself Movers
Moving an entire multi-room house or office by yourself is a staggering amount of work. If possible, find friends or family members to help you. Especially for heavy furniture, as carrying heavy items by yourself can result in serious injury and/or damaged items. Therefore, find a friend that’s in good shape to help you and also purchase or rent a moving dolly. You will be amazed at how easy moving dollies can make lifting heavy objects.
Once you have found some friends or family members to help with your DIY move, consider the following moving tips:
- If you are planning to move soon, don’t wait until the last minute to get organized – start packing as soon as possible. Packing is one of the most time consuming aspects of moving, so it’s best to get started early.
- Never skimp on packing supplies. Buying quality packing supplies and moving boxes will save you a lot of frustration during your move. When moving fragile items like china, mirrors, and antique furniture, you will want to use packing popcorn and shrink wrap.
- Consider purchasing a portable storage container to store some of your items for longer periods of time. These shipping containers, frequently referred to as PODs, will be delivered to your new home or office at your convenience. You may want to find a larger storage unit at a local storage facility.
- Be sure to rent a moving truck big enough to ship all your items in one trip. This is of the utmost importance, especially for long distance moves!
Tips to Follow When Hiring Professional Movers
Moving companies are pros when it comes to packing your valuables and moving your furniture. They will have all the necessary supplies to safely pack and transport all your items. Not to mention, the speed at which they can pack, load, and unload your possessions makes hiring a moving company a worthwhile investment. While most moving services include all the work involved in the moving process, the following moving tips should help you ensure moving day is stress-free!
- Label all moving boxes clearly so they are treated with proper care. Note any boxes that have delicate items inside, and, if possible, indicate on the box which room it should be taken to when delivered.
- Inform moving companies ahead of time if you need them to move a specialty item, such as grand pianos, water beds, and other goods that require special care when transporting.
- Always make sure your belongings are properly insured when you move – either by you or the movers you hire. Never assume the moving company will cover your damaged goods, especially if they are expensive.
Following these moving tips will ensure your move is quick and simple. To get free moving quotes and save up to 50% on your move, complete the form at the top of this page!